1 year ago
#TSA #Airplanes #airplane #flight #fly #flying #air travel #travel #problems #personal
Or some of the reasons I hate TSA, airports, airlines, flying, and all the involved staff.
Because I go to college 1300-something miles from home, I fly very frequently. With that, of course, comes it’s own series of aggravations, problems and frustrations.
- The people working for TSA are dunces. At least, in my experience they have been. Today, I was harassed by TSA for having a pen-tablet and for having a glass sculpture in my bag. They pulled my stuff aside, completely unpacked my bag, and put everything in separate trays for rescanning. The woman running the bag scan kept picking up the bubble-wrapped piece of glasswork I made (it’s a gift for my mother, as it is Mother’s Day), asking me repeatedly what is was. When I told her glass, she gave me this “I don’t believe you” look, and told me over and over again how suspicious it looked on her scan, and blah blah blah. I’m just glad I come to the airport two hours early, cause the goddamn incident at security took about half an hour.
- Checking Baggage. Unforgiving. I’m returning from college with art, clothing, and stuff I don’t need in my dorm room anymore, so naturally myonesuitcase was a smidgeon heavy. I got charged $50 for having a heavy bag, when the airline I’m flying is supposed to have free checked bags. Boo. Shame on you.
- Peanuts. Me and my goddamned peanut allergy. Makes my throat and eyes burn. Everyone around me always eats them, and it just kills me cause even though my allergy is so bad I’d feel weird asking for them not to serve peanuts in my area. Who am I to tell people what to eat, even if it makes it hard for me to breathe..?
- Screaming Children. SHUT YOUR DEMON SPAWN UP. My first flight today, from New Orleans to Orlando, was at 7am. Two kids on the plane were screeching at the top of their lungs, emitting terrible noises and being annoying and obnoxious. I was so tempted to turn around and tell the mother to shut her brats up. Thank god I brought headache medication.
- Obnoxious As Fuck Gate Attendants. One flight long ago, I had a layover in Houston. I got off my flight, and ran to my connection’s gate since we landed really late and my plane had started boarding. I get to the gate, and it’s all closed and locked up. I ask the gate attendant where my connection was, and she glared hell at me. Coincidentally, over the PA, might flight was announced as entering the final boarding stage…at a gate all the way at the other end of the terminal. I asked her to call the gate to tell them to hold for a minute, and she said “The longer you spend talking to me, the less likely it is you’ll make your flight.” My return flight also laid over in Houston, and the experience was just as wretched. When I landed, I got off my flight and asked the attendant where the flight back to New Orleans was, providing all the information and whatnot. She sent me away, telling me she outright refused to help. I find the departures board…and my flight was departing from the gate she was working at—the one I had just exited.